Thursday, June 27, 2013

a baby story.

I have been meaning to journal Benson's birth story and now here we are a month later. Better late than never, right?
Friday, May, 31st, 2013 was the longest, most remarkable, hardest, memorable day of my life. No words can adequately describe it, so a chronological timeline of the day will have to do.

3:30AM- I woke up to feeling contractions. They were different than what I had felt before. I laid there for a bit and then decided to start timing them.
5:00AM- Woke up Matt who was immediately wide eyed. I told him he could go back to sleep, but yeah right he was up for good.
6:00AM- Woke up my mom just to let her know something was different, but there was no rush.
6:20AM- We all decided to shower and get ready just in case. There was no way I was going to the hospital not ready, so I was grateful for that time to get ready.
8:00AM- We decided to head to the hospital since the contractions weren't stopping. Matt gave me a blessing, we grabbed our bags, and we were out the door.
9:00AM- Had the monitors around my stomach and was dilated to 1 cm. For them to officially admit me, I had to progress 1 cm in one hour.

10:00AM- Nurse checked me and I was a 2. Reality then hit that this was really happening. We were here to stay. Papers were signed and I was hooked up. I do not like needles at all. I feared having the IV the whole pregnancy. It ended up not being so bad, especially since I didn't look at it once. My arm was covered under the sheet the whole day.
12:00PM- 3 cm, contractions getting uncomfortable.
12:15PM- Got my epidural. What a miracle drug! I was a bit nervous about getting the epidural too, but it wasn't bad either. I really liked the anesthesiologist. The numbing feeling was so weird. I was totally dependent on people to help turn me over and switch positions. I am sure it was quite the sight!
1:30PM- My water broke on its own. Talk about a strange feeling. Still 3 cm.
2:15PM- Pitocin drip was started. Let the waiting game begin!

5:30PM- Got a stronger dose of my epidural. Those hours in between were spent trying to rest while my family watched the monitor and told me when I was having a contraction. Best part was I couldn't feel a thing. Miracle!
7:00PM- 7cm
8:00PM- 9.5cm. We couldn't help but think that this baby would be here real soon. It had already been a long day.
8:30PM- An alarm from the epidural machine kept going off. Comes to find out there was no epidural fluid (whatever it's called) being pumped. No wonder I was starting to be able to wiggle my toes. Not exactly the time for no epidural either, but it got fixed and we were okay.
9:15PM- Started pushing. I only liked to have my nurse do the counting. There wasn't much talking besides her counting and my eyes were closed the entire time. I think it helped me focus more. I had Matt, my mom, and my grandma there supporting me.
11:20PM- After hours of pushing and no progress, Dr. Rees finally came in. He was in a c-section that took longer than expected. I was exhausted by this point. Dr. Rees started talking about needing to use some interventions aka vacuum or forceps. I heard that and the adrenaline kicked in. I regained strength to push harder than ever. I did not want anything bad to happen and wanted Benson born.
11:38PM- Vacuum was used part way.
11:41PM- The moment our lives were changed forever. Benson was here! I think I was past the point of exhaustion to really feel any other emotions besides relief knowing that we had our son finally here. There were lots of nurses in the room to assist in case something went wrong. Matt cut the cord and was right by Benson's side. Matt brought Benson over to me for the first time where I finally got to see him. 30 seconds later, the nurses noticed his breathing was a bit raspy so they took him immediately to the NICU.

12:05PM- They did a C-PAP on Benson. Matt was with him the whole time. That was such a comfort to me. Even though I had hardly seen my son, I knew he was with his dad so everything would be okay. I had a lot of after pain/contractions. I was given pain medicine to help bring relief, but not much helped. Finally, I was able to get wheeled down to my other room, but not without a quick stop to the NICU to see Benson and Matt.
3:50AM- Benson and I were finally together! Those were some long hours waiting for him not really knowing what was going on.

For those still reading, good for you. It was a day we will never forget. I could go on and on about everything else that happened and our stay at the hospital, but I will spare you. All that matters is that we have Benson and this little family of three is as happy as ever.
first family photo

No comments:

Post a Comment